What are good strategies for getting pregnant if I have endometriosis?

If you have endometriosis and want to get pregnant, start early. Women overall are much more likely to get pregnant when they're in their twenties than when they are in their thirties and forties. Since you already know you have a greater risk of fertility problems than a woman without endometriosis, you want to stack the deck in your favor. Focus on your overall health as well. A woman who maintains a healthy weight, eats a healthy diet high in fruits, vegetables and whole grains and gets regular exercise, has a body prepared to nourish an embryo. Your reproductive system picks up on this; it's why very underweight or overweight women, or women who are malnourished, are less likely to get pregnant -- their bodies are not in good shape for pregnancy.

Consider seeing an infertility specialist sooner in your quest to have a child rather than later. If you've been trying for six months and the stick still hasn't turned pink, make an appointment.

Above all, don't panic! Every day brings more information about new treatments and options when it comes to getting women -- even women with endometriosis -- pregnant and helping them deliver healthy babies.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.
The best stategy for getting pregnant if you have endometriosis is to do it sooner rather than later. The longer you wait to have children the more your chances of conceiving decrease.

Continue Learning about Endometriosis

5 Ways Endometriosis Pain Differs from Normal Period Pain
As young girls heading into adolescence, we’re told that periods are a normal part of becoming women and every month or so, our bodies will undergo me...
Endometriosis: 5 Considerations When Seeking a Second Opinion
In medicine, a second opinion is an opinion from a healthcare provider other than your current healthcare provider. The goal of getting a second opini...
Can Endometriosis Affect Pregnancy?
Can Endometriosis Affect Pregnancy?
If I Go on Birth Control to Treat Endometriosis, Will That Affect My Ability to Get Pregnant Later?