Could violent vomiting have caused the broken blood vessel in my eyeball?

Subconjunctival hemorrhage (blood on the white of the eye, but under the clear mucus membrane called conjunctiva) can come from many causes. In this case, it sounds as though a Valsalva maneuver is the culprit, which occurs when there is a strain such as vomiting, coughing, or sneezing that raises the intrathoracic pressure. The veins in the neck become distended, and the flow of blood from the head is impeded, causing rupture of small blood vessels on the ocular surface. Like a bruise, this will slowly degrade and disappear. While there are many other causes, the history makes this explanation the most plausible one. Use artificial tears every few hours while awake until it clears. Do not rub the eye or use drops to get the red out.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Tell Me Why… I Poop More During My Period
As if the cramps, bloating, mood swings, exhaustion and increased appetite during premenstrual syndrome (PMS) weren’t bad enough, your tummy may get o...
What is colectomy?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Colectomy is an operation to remove all or part of the colon. When only part of the colon is removed...
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
Your gut is responsible for more than digestion; it can reveal illness, too.
The Food Remedies for a Leaky Gut
The Food Remedies for a Leaky Gut