question

Can creatine help me gain weight?

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy
answer
Creatine can help you gain weight, but the jump you see on the scale doesn't necessarily reflect increased muscle mass (or fat, for that matter). Most evidence suggests that the pounds are likely just water weight. Here's why: Creatine helps generate the energy muscles need to work. When you take creatine supplements, the amount of creatine in muscle cells increases, drawing water in along with it. However, some preliminary evidence suggests that creatine may boost the activity of cells that eventually develop into muscle tissue, and it may also help athletes to work out harder by increasing their energy stores. Both effects could lead to more muscle mass, but more research is needed.
National Academy of Sports Medicine
National Academy of Sports Medicine

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

What's a Detox Supplement—and Does It Work?
Toxins. They’re said to exist everywhere and are often accused of making us sick, giving rise to a booming industry of detox supplements in the form o...
What are the side effects of fish oil supplements?
What are the side effects of fish oil supplements? The most immediately noticeable side effects of t...
Are phytoberry supplements good for me?
They are certainly loaded with some of the ingredients from berries found all over the world, but th...
What are tribulus terrestris' side effects?
One possible adverse side effect of tribulus terrestris may be an increase in testosterone levels. L...