Can creatine help me gain weight?

Creatine can help you gain weight, but the jump you see on the scale doesn't necessarily reflect increased muscle mass (or fat, for that matter). Most evidence suggests that the pounds are likely just water weight. Here's why: Creatine helps generate the energy muscles need to work. When you take creatine supplements, the amount of creatine in muscle cells increases, drawing water in along with it. However, some preliminary evidence suggests that creatine may boost the activity of cells that eventually develop into muscle tissue, and it may also help athletes to work out harder by increasing their energy stores. Both effects could lead to more muscle mass, but more research is needed.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Don’t Take Supplements Without Doing This First
Think “all natural” means “perfectly safe”? That’s not always the case, at least when it comes to vitamins and supplements. In 2015, a study by the Ce...
When should I take supplements?
Consider supplements as a smart choice if they have the right doses of nutrients and if it's hard to...
How does yogurt promote intestinal health?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Yogurt containing live active cultures has been demonstrated to help maintain the normal intestinal ...
Are Nutritional Supplement Labels Accurate?