Does Spirulina interact with other medications?

Spirulina can interact with other medications and nutritional supplements. However, the severity of the interaction, as well as the exact drugs with which it interacts, is unknown, and can vary between brands of spirulina. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration, which regulates food and drugs, does not regulate supplements as closely as they regulate drugs. The result is that the product that you buy has no guarantee that it is as strong, pure or safe as the label suggests. This means that the effects of drug interaction may not be the same across products. However, there are general types of medications and supplements with which spirulina can interact. Speak to your doctor before taking spirulina if you are taking other medications or supplements for any of the following medical conditions: immune system disorders, inflammation, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, viruses, allergies, neurologic conditions, diabetes, weight loss, heart problems, osteoporosis, cancer and blood clots.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Supplements Responsible for 23,000 ER Visits Per Year
Think “all natural” means “perfectly safe”? Unfortunately that’s not the case, at least when it comes to vitamins and supplements. A study by the Cent...
What are the best food oils available in the U.S.?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Although far from ideal, the best oils commonly available in the U.S. are the cold-pressed, unrefine...
What are the ingredients in fish oil supplements?
Dr. Grant Cooper, MDDr. Grant Cooper, MD
The omega-3 fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) are the important...
How Can I Be Sure the Supplements I Buy Are Safe?