Is maple syrup a good sweetener for people with diabetes?

Researchers have recently discovered new compounds in pure maple syrup that possess antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These properties have been shown to benefit people with cancer, diabetes and bacterial illnesses. While the preliminary study of the antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds appears promising, the study did not say that maple syrup should be used as treatment for diabetes.

Maple syrup is tasty and is sweeter than regular table sugar. One tablespoon of maple syrup contains 13.4 grams of carbohydrate! When used in moderation with carbohydrate counting, small amounts of maple syrup can be safely incorporated into a healthy meal plan. Fingersticks will tell you how your blood glucose responds to the addition of maple syrup or any other food in your meal plan.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How to Develop Your Diabetes Action Plan
Managing diabetes requires care, commitment and planning. With your diagnosis, it’s helpful to develop an action plan that is specific to you. To dev...
Are continuous glucose monitors (CGMs) covered by Medicare?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
Most people with diabetes are aware of the benefits of continuous glucose monitoring (CGM). A CGM he...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Are There Any Precautions I Should Take When I Exercise with Diabetes?