How can I find out if my glucose monitor kit is accurate?

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

Most glucose monitor kits come with a test solution. You will need to squeeze a drop of this solution on to a test strip and insert it into your monitor. You should test the solution as you would test your blood. After the monitor has determined the amount of glucose in the solution, you should compare it to the amount printed on the solution bottle. If the two numbers are the same, you know your glucose monitor kit is functioning properly.

To ensure your results are accurate, you should use the test solution each time you open a new box of test strips. You should also use the solution periodically as you do your regular blood testing. Always test your monitor if you receive a blood sugar reading that is odd.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

where does fat fit into a diabetes meal plan ?
If you have diabetes or prediabetes, it's crucial to monitor the types of fat you consume. Try to li...
can i stop taking glp-1 agonists if i no longer have diabetes symptoms ?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Type 2 diabetes is lifelong condition that requires a specific diabetes management plan. If you are ...
is the increase of diabetes due to obesity epidemic ?
should i avoid coffee and alcohol if i have diabetes ?