What are the target blood glucose levels for pregnant women with diabetes?

Even if you have kept your blood sugar in good control before you get pregnant, it can be harder to keep control during pregnancy. But it's important to do your best! The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) says you should try to keep your blood sugar above 70 mg/dL and below these levels:

• Before meals: 95 mg/dL or lower
  • 1 hour after eating: 130 mg/dL or lower
  • 2 hours after eating: 120 mg/dL or lower

Typical blood glucose levels for pregnant women with diabetes are: Fasting 60-99 mg/dl, after meals 100-129 mg/dl.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How to Give Yourself an Insulin Injection
It’s natural to feel anxious about giving yourself insulin injections, particularly if you’re not a fan of needles. But keep in mind: Insulin is injec...
What is the difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes?
Type I diabetes, sometimes called "juvenile diabetes" because the disease often begins in childhood,...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Why Should I See an Endocrinologist If I Have Diabetes?