What is the link between diabetes and sensitive teeth?

There is no direct link between diabetes and sensitive teeth, but there is a link between diabetes and gum disease. When gum disease become advanced, it can cause the teeth to become sensitive. So I guess you could say there is a potential link between diabetes and sensitive teeth.
There is no direct connection between diabetes and sensitive teeth. However, when diabetes is poorly controlled, levels of blood glucose (sugar) can remain high; this can exacerbate serious gum disease. As diseased gums pull away from the teeth, the cementum layer on the roots is readily worn away, leaving the underlying dentin exposed, and sensitive teeth result. Gum disease can progress from the early stage of gingivitis to more serious conditions, such as periodontitis; eventually, people with untreated periodontitis can lose their teeth from chronic gum infection and inflammation. Periodontitis can cause further problems for people with diabetes, who need their teeth in order to follow a healthy diet. Research has shown that it may even be more difficult for diabetics to control their blood glucose if they have periodontitis.

Gum disease is the link between diabetes and sensitivity. Diabetic patients tend to develop gum disease more readily. As bone is lost around teeth the gums follow and leave the underlying tooth root surface exposed. This can lead to sensitivity as the cementum on the root surface is much softer then the enamel on the crown of the tooth and can wear away much faster and cause sensitivity. Controlling the blood sugar can help with controlling the rate that the gum disease progresses. 

Gum disease cause sensitive teeth. Gum disease appears to be more frequent and more severe among those with diabetes. Conversely, it appears that treating gum disease in people with diabetes can help improve blood sugar control.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

What is the best time to go to the dentist if I have diabetes?
A morning appointment may be best because your blood glucose tends to be controlled better at this t...
Why does my dentist need to know if I have diabetes?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you have diabetes, you are at a greater risk of developing some oral health problems than are peo...
How can diabetes change my sense of taste?
Some diabetics have reported that their taste for sweets is diminished, although the taste impai...
Do older people with diabetes have a more cavities?
Elderly people with poorly controlled diabetes have more dental caries, gum disease and tooth loss. ...