Does healing after oral surgery take longer in people with diabetes?

Yes, as a general rule, healing after oral surgery takes longer is diabetics. This is because all tissues need glucose (sugar) to provide them with the energy to maintain normal function. When tissue is injured as it is in oral surgery, the demands of healing tissues require even more glucose. In the diabetic (even Type II), the availability of the glucose is compromised. In addition, diabetics often have high blood pressure due to changes in small vessels with further complicates the healing process.
Healing after oral surgery may take longer for someone who has uncontrolled diabetes because the healing process may be hindered by poor blood flow to the treatment area. (Poor blood flow is often associated with people who have diabetes.) While oral infections are more common with people who have diabetes, a close watch of blood sugar levels and good dental care should reduce the possibility of problems after surgery.
Diabetes can lower your resistance to infection and can slow the healing process. If you are having extensive oral surgery, your dentist may prescribe antibiotics to minimize the risk of infection. To help the healing process, keep your blood glucose levels under control before, during and after surgery.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

How often should I see my dentist with diabetes?
Good oral hygiene is important for everyone and especially for people with diabetes. Be sure to see ...
What causes white patches in my mouth with diabetes?
The white patches in your mouth and on your tongue may be thrush. Thrush is a fungal infection that ...
What dental treatments are common for people with diabetes?
The first line of treatment you should receive is the treatment you give yourself. Since diabetics, ...
What is gingivitis with diabetes?
Gingivitis means an inflammation of the gingiva or gums and often co-occurs with diabetes mellitus. ...