When should I call the dentist after getting a dental crown?

If you've had a dental crown placed, you can expect some numbness around your mouth if you've had numbing medication injected. You also can expect some soreness after the crown placement is done. Some situations that should prompt you to call your dentist include:
  • feeling numbness not just around your jaw but also in other areas of your face
  • mouth or jaw numbness that does not go away after a few hours (this could mean that a nerve was damaged)
  • noticing that your pain is becoming more severe instead of getting better
  • noticing that the pain in your mouth gets better and then suddenly increases in severity
  • running a fever, or finding that the area of the crown placement is swollen, warm, red, or leaking fluid (all of these are signs of infection)
  • bleeding that starts up after the crown is placed and doesn't stop
  • feeling that your crown is loose or seeing that it has fallen out completely
  • unusual or severe side effects from any pain medicine that your dentist may prescribe for you

Continue Learning about Dental Crown

How do I prepare for getting a dental crown?
To prepare you for getting a dental crown, your dentist may first need to do a root canal on the...
Why do I need a dental crown?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Dental crowns are dental restorations that cap a tooth to help restore it to its normal shape. L...
Can I drive myself home after getting a dental crown?
Whether it is safe for you to drive yourself home after getting a dental crown depends on the ty...
How long can a temporary crown last?
Temporary crowns are only made to last until your permanent crown is made by a dental laboratory; us...