Can I drive myself home after getting a dental crown?

Assuming that you have not had sedation or general anesthesia, then what you experience is not much different than having a filling placed, although it may take somewhat longer. You will be anesthetized with local anesthesia and the tooth will be shaped for the crown, not unlike having a tooth prepared for a filling. While there are other steps that need to be performed during your visit, the overall treatment and visit should not preclude your driving a car.

Whether it is safe for you to drive yourself home after getting a dental crown depends on the type of anesthesia (numbing medicine) that your dentist uses. If your dentist uses an injection of local anesthesia to your gum or inner cheek, it may be okay to drive home. However, in some cases, the local anesthesia spreads to areas besides the mouth, such as the eye, so in these cases you may want someone else to give you a ride home.

If you get a stronger type of anesthesia, including conscious sedation and general anesthesia, you will need someone to drive you home after the procedure. Conscious sedation does keep you awake during the crown placement but can leave you feeling groggy and sleepy, so driving is not a safe option. General anesthesia makes you completely unconscious during the procedure and can take several hours to completely wear off, so you will not be able to drive yourself home after this type of anesthesia.

Your dentist will talk to you about the types of anesthesia that he or she will be using during your dental crown placement. Before arriving for your crown placement appointment, make sure you understand if you can drive home safely or if you will need a ride home after your procedure.

Continue Learning about Dental Crown

What are the advantages of dental crowns?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Your dentist may recommend a crown for a number of reasons, including strengthening teeth or enhanci...
What type of anesthesia will I need for a dental crown?
Your dentist may use local anesthesia, conscious sedation, or general anesthesia to place your d...
What is crown lengthening?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Crown lengthening is a periodontal (gum) procedure to increase the amount of tooth structure above t...
What is a dental crown made of?
Dental crowns are made from several types of materials. Metal alloys, ceramics, porcelain, compo...