Can I get a dental crown if I am pregnant?

Ideally, if you are pregnant, you should try to wait until after your baby is born before having non-essential procedures done on your teeth. So if you are getting a crown placed for cosmetic reasons (you have a tooth that is badly shaped or stained), try to postpone that dental visit until after the birth of your baby.

But in other cases, it may be a good idea to get a crown placed even if you are pregnant. For instance, a crown to cover a badly decayed tooth can help prevent tooth infection. Since you are at higher risk of tooth and gum infection during pregnancy, getting your crown placed is probably a good idea. If you can, try to time the crown placement for your second trimester of pregnancy. This way, you are minimizing risk to the baby during the first, critical weeks of development but you aren't so large that lying on your back for a long period of time is uncomfortable.

If you have any questions or concerns, talk to your dentist as well as your doctor. They will be able to answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable with getting your crown placed.

Continue Learning about Dental Crown

How will I know if getting a dental crown was successful?
A successful dental crown placement is one in which the crown fits over your tooth well and line...
What does the process of getting a dental crown involve?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
There are several steps involved in getting a dental crown. First, your tooth or teeth is reduced 1....
Can crowns be used for cosmetic reasons?
Yasaman S. Roland, DDSYasaman S. Roland, DDS
Yes. Crowns are usually used to reinforce broken down or damaged teeth, however, today's modern crow...
What is a dental crown?
Rachana D. Vora, DMDRachana D. Vora, DMD
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped "cap" that is placed over a tooth -- to cover the tooth to restore ...