What kind of doctor will see me in an emergency room (ER)?

An emergency medicine physician will see you in the emergency room (ER). This physician has completed special training in emergency medicine after finishing medical school. If you are admitted to the hospital for overnight stay from the ER, a hospital physician will see you as well as any specialists who may need to be involved in your care.
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
The doctor who sees you in the emergency room (ER) is most likely a specialist (board certified) in emergency medicine. They work closely with specialists and will contact your primary care physician, when necessary, in order to give you first-rate care. Board-certified EM doctors have passed a comprehensive exam administered by a certifying Board of Emergency Medicine. My specialty also requires yearly self-assessment tests and recertification every 10 years. Trust me, board-certified EM docs know emergency medicine!
Doc's ER Survival Guide (DocHandal's Guides)

Few people get through life without at least one trip to the emergency room (ER), either as a patient or support person for a family member or friend. Doc’s ER Survival Guide is designed to help...

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
How can I keep track of what's happening to me in the emergency room (ER)?
Dr. Kathleen Handal, MDDr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Start taking notes upon arrival to the ER. This is for your own reference. A trip to the ER is s...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Are the Limitations of Computers in Medicine?