What is the StimRouter?

Dr. William P. McRoberts, MD
Pain Medicine Specialist

The StimRouter is a small, thin wire that is implanted with a needle in the shoulder next to the axillary nerve. It is then tunneled to the surface just underneath the skin, where on the outside of the arm, a tiny patch is placed to transmit electrical signals down to the nerve for two reasons: the first reason is to activate the deltoid muscle which then relocates the humerus bone into the shoulder joint stopping the dislocation but the second reason is to actually block the signal of pain that is transmitted to the brain from the shoulder itself.

Continue Learning about Chronic Pain

Pain: Should You Worry? 3 Ways to Tell
Pain: Should You Worry? 3 Ways to Tell
Ouch! Wowee zowee, that hurts! You overdid it. We've all been there, done that. But how do you know whether it's something serious? Should you get hel...
How common is chronic pain?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
A survey done by USA Today/ABC News/Stanford University indicates that four in ten adults say th...
How is chronic pain different than short-lived pain?
Chronic pain is different than the sensation you feel when you burn your finger or scrape your knee....
How Soon Can Stem-Cell Therapy Be Used to Treat My Pain?