How does chronic pain affect the immune system?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology

When pain persists for weeks or even months, it can cause an increase in the level of cortisol, the body’s main stress-induced hormone. Although the immune system needs a certain amount of cortisol, when it becomes elevated for an extended period, it can impair the cells that make up your immune system and kidney function.

When bathed in this stress-related chemical, the immune system can find it harder to function optimally. Living with unending chronic pain and the subsequent stress, your immune system simply will not work at full capacity. This breakdown in immune function can interfere with your ability to fight infections, your long-term healing, and your overall quality of life. In fact, there are new studies that indicate pain may affect the immune system in such a way that cancer cells speed up their growth when there is pain in the body.

Diet for a Pain-Free Life: A Revolutionary Plan to Lose Weight, Stop Pain, Sleep Better and Feel Great in 21 Days, ADA...sound nutritional advice...do-able, delicious..a godsend to pain sufferers.

Do you wake up each morning aching with joint or muscle pain? Have you been trying to lose stubborn belly fat for years? Do you wish you could be active without pain medications? Look no further:...

Continue Learning about Chronic Pain

"Sometimes You Have to Live with It" and Other Pain Myths
For persistent pain like the stuff that comes with migraines, arthritis, and back trouble, what you don't know might be hurting you. Let's clear up so...
How often should I do exercises for chronic pain?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
When you have a chronic pain condition, one repetition of an exercise each day will not fix it. You ...
How common is chronic pain?
Over 116 million Americans suffer from chronic pain -- which adds up to more people than those s...
How Soon Can Stem-Cell Therapy Be Used to Treat My Pain?