How does chronic pain affect the immune system?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology

When pain persists for weeks or even months, it can cause an increase in the level of cortisol, the body’s main stress-induced hormone. Although the immune system needs a certain amount of cortisol, when it becomes elevated for an extended period, it can impair the cells that make up your immune system and kidney function.

When bathed in this stress-related chemical, the immune system can find it harder to function optimally. Living with unending chronic pain and the subsequent stress, your immune system simply will not work at full capacity. This breakdown in immune function can interfere with your ability to fight infections, your long-term healing, and your overall quality of life. In fact, there are new studies that indicate pain may affect the immune system in such a way that cancer cells speed up their growth when there is pain in the body.

Diet for a Pain-Free Life: A Revolutionary Plan to Lose Weight, Stop Pain, Sleep Better and Feel Great in 21 Days, ADA...sound nutritional advice...do-able, delicious..a godsend to pain sufferers.

Do you wake up each morning aching with joint or muscle pain? Have you been trying to lose stubborn belly fat for years? Do you wish you could be active without pain medications? Look no further:...

Continue Learning about Chronic Pain

Trade High Heels for Flats to Prevent Foot Pain
Even we YOU Docs (who think white lab coats are the height of fashion) are aware that women's heels have gotten taller than Heidi Klum. Upshot: Foot p...
How are stroke and shoulder pain related?
William P. McRoberts, MDWilliam P. McRoberts, MD
The specific connection between stroke and shoulder pain is not known. However, sometimes after a st...
How can I commit myself to treating my chronic pain?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Solidify your ideas and support your intention to heal by talking to friends or family or writing do...
What Are the Risks Associated With Over-The-Counter Painkillers?