How does stretching benefit a person with chronic pain?

Howard S. Smith
Pain Medicine
Stretching exercises help to elongate your muscles and prevent injury. Stretching not only improves circulation to the muscles and joints, but it increases your range of motion so that movement is easier. If you suffer with fibromyalgia, stretching can help alleviate the deep muscle pain and stiffness. For women with arthritis, stretching helps your joints keep their full range of motion and allows you to stay flexible. If you have painful menstrual cramps or back or neck pain, stretching can help ease muscle tension and pain. To gain the strengthening benefit without causing further pain or injury, appropriate technique is very important. Talk with your physician, and consider consulting with a physical therapist so that you have a specific program planned with your special pain needs in mind.

Continue Learning about Chronic Pain Treatment

Pain Relief from Dietary Omega-3s
Pain Relief from Dietary Omega-3s
When comedian Joan Rivers commented on her emotional wounds and worries, the world laughed: “I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw that my bath toy...
Can vitamin K relieve chronic pain?
If you have chronic pain, toss a spinach or arugula salad for a jolt of vitamin K—a nutrient with po...
How can hypnosis help relieve chronic pain?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Hypnosis is another alternative tool used to control stress and postoperative pain. Although hypnosi...
What Is Electroacupuncture?
What Is Electroacupuncture?