What is dysthymic disorder?

Dysthymic Disorder is a milder yet more enduring type of major depression. People with dysthymia may appear to be chronically mildly depressed to the point that it seems to be a part of their personality. When a person finally seeks treatment for dysthymia, it is not uncommon that he or she has struggled with this condition for a number of years.
Symptoms of dysthymic disorder (chronic, mild depression) must persist for at least two years in adults (one year in children) to meet criteria for the diagnosis.

• Dysthymic disorder affects approximately 1.5 percent of the U.S. population age 18 and older in a given year.
    • This figure translates to about 3.3 million American adults. The median age of onset of dysthymic disorder is 31.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Mental Health.

Continue Learning about Chronic Depression (Dysthymia)

Can chronic depression (dysthymia) be treated with medication?
Several types of antidepressants are used to treat dysthymia, which is a mild, chronic depressio...
What are the symptoms of dysthymia?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
In addition to having a depressed mood for more than two years, someone with dysthymia (low-grad...
What Are the Biggest Challenges in Treating Depression?
Will I Need to Take an Antidepressant for the Rest of My Life?