What is advanced or metastatic cervical cancer?

Advanced or metastatic cervical cancer is cancer that has spread beyond the cervix itself. This can include local spread, such as to the uterus, or to distant sites such as the bowel or lungs.
Advanced or metastatic cervical cancer is cancer that has spread beyond the cervix to other parts of the body. The cervix is the lower part of the uterus which connects to the vagina beneath it. When cervical cancer develops, it usually occurs in the cells that line the cervix.

When the cancer is detected at a point where it affects the cervix only, it is called stage I. Stage II cervical cancer has spread outside the cervix but is still centered in the pelvis. Stage III cervical cancer is still "regional" cancer but has spread throughout the pelvis, often causing problems like kidney malfunction. Stage IV cervical cancer is cancer that has spread (metastasized) to lymph nodes and distant areas of the body, and is considered advanced cervical cancer.

The higher the stage of cervical cancer, the harder it is to treat successfully. The five-year survival rate for women with cervical cancer is 91 percent for women who have stage I, 57 percent for women who have regional cancer and 16 percent for women who have metastasized, stage IV cancer.

Continue Learning about Cervical Cancer

5 Proven Ways to Cut Your Cervical Cancer Risk
With timely screenings and the proper prevention methods, cervical cancer can be found early—when a cure is most possible—or avoided all together. Tha...
What cervical cancer risk factors can't I control?
Cervical cancer risk factors that you can't control include: a suppressed immune system previo...
What tests can help determine if my cervical cancer has spread?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
Diagnostic equipment may be used to see if cervical cancer has spread. This may include: Intraven...
Why You Shouldn’t Dread Your Pap Smear
Why You Shouldn’t Dread Your Pap Smear