What happens after cervical cancer is diagnosed?

When cervical cancer is diagnosed the person is referred to a specialist. A portion of the cervix can be removed in a cone biopsy procedure, or if the cancer is more invasive a more involved surgery like a hysterectomy may be required. 
If cancer of the cervix is diagnosed, more tests will be conducted to learn if cancer cells have spread to other parts of the body. These tests may include:
  • Cystoscopy: This test is performed to see if the cancer has spread to the bladder. The doctor examines the inside of the bladder using a lighted tube.
  • Proctoscopy: Similar to a cystoscopy, this test is performed to see if the cancer has spread to the rectum.
  • Examination of the pelvis is performed under anesthesia to check for further spread.
  • A chest x-ray is performed to see if the cancer has spread to the lungs.
  • Other imaging tests such as computed tomography (CT) scans or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) are performed to see if the cancer has spread to lymph nodes or other organs.

Continue Learning about Cervical Cancer

When Should Women Start Being Tested for Human Papillomavirus (HPV)?
How Frequently Should I Get a Pap Smear to Screen for Cervical Cancer?