Will circuit training increase my cardiovascular endurance?

Yes. Circuit Training is an excellent way to improve cardiovascular endurance. It puts you into a state called EPOC (Exercise Post Oxygen Recovery). This is basically your body is trying to rebuild oxygen levels back up in your body after exercise has depleted it. This will also cause your body to make adaptions to carry more oxygen and use it more efficiently.

Yes—a cardio workout is any workout that keeps you moving and increases your heart rate.

By following a circuit with continuous reps and by rapidly progressing between each exercise without rest periods in between, you can create the best of both worlds. Increase your strength while increasing your cardiovascular endurance.

Circuit training could increase your cardio endurance if you do high intensity, short duration (30-60 seconds) cardio circuits such as mountain climbers, jump rope, step-overs on a bosu ball, etc., immediately after each strength exercise. 

I like to put these cardio circuits in between the strength exercises to keep the heart rate elevated and thus increase the overall calorie burn. Let me know if you need further information, I'd be happy to provide you with more details.

As long as you perform strength exercises in close enough succession and don't allow the heart rate to fall out of your target heart rate and perform the circuit for at least 30 minutes then yes it will increase your cardiovascular endurance. 

Circuit training is an excellent form of cardio. Circuit training consists of progressing through a series of exercise with little rest in between sets. This type of routine increases heart rate for an extended period of time which in turn increases cardiovascular endurance.

Circuit training can absolutely increase your aerobic endurance. Of course, a great deal depends on how you perform the exercises!  In order to achieve a greater amount of cardiovascular endurance, you should perform a given circuit of exercises with little to no rest in between your sets. Preferably, you should perform exercises that involve multiple joints working in unison and leave any single-joint isolation exercises for after. An easier way to do this would be to perform exercises for agonist/antagonist muscle groups, such as a pushing exercise like a Chest Press or Push Up, immediately followed by a pulling exercise such as a Lat Pull-down or Row.

In this manner, a group of muscles can recover somewhat while you are exercising the opposite group and vice-versa. You can also couple a lower body exercise that is more aerobically taxing, like a Squat or a Lunge, with an upper body exercise that takes less aerobic effort so as to keep your heart rate in your desired training zone. If you are just starting out, you can take a more leisurely pace in between the exercises in your circuit, since you might need the extra recovery time. As you progress, you can decrease the amount of time between exercises to make it more aerobically challenging...

In some of my circuit training sessions, I might also have a client perform an aerobic functional exercise such as a Medicine Ball tosses down to a squat, or wood chops for a one minute period, followed by a strength-training exercise with lighter resistance and higher repetitions. Circuit training can be an efficient workout that helps to aerobically train the muscles, increases capillary density and circulation, and aerobically prepares the body for higher intensity strength-training workouts.

The best to increase cardiovascular endurance is through circuit training because this allows for the heart muscle to stay challenged throughout the workout when this is incorporated with one using a heart rate monitor. Circuit training that is done consistently within healthy heart rate zones will produce higher caloric burn and faster results rather than just going through the motions.

Circuit training is great for getting in a great workout when you have limited time. If you have some cardio exercises as well as strength or resistance training exercises incorporated into your circuit then it can be a great source of cardiovascular endurance. You have to complete the circuit the way it was intended, meaning that you must complete all the exercises in the circuit without stopping or with minimal rest in order for it to be an effective cardiovascular activity.

This is not to say that you should go and overwork yourself trying to effectively complete a circuit. Generally a circuit is about 6 - 8 exercises. If you are a beginner and you want to start somewhere then circuit are the way to go. I would suggest cutting it down to about 3 - 4 exercises so that you can get your heart and body conditioned and then work your way up to the 6 - 8.

You will know that you are ready to move on when it takes more activity to get your heart racing or when the normal 3 - 4 exercises just don't cut it for you anymore.

Absolutely! Especially if you do a cardio circuit workout program. For example, you can perform a series of cardio exercises with minimal rest between each exercise, and after the completion of the circuit, you can rest and then jump back in and perform 1-2 more circuits. Examples of cardio exercises to be performed in a cardio circuit: jump rope, marching or jogging, shadowboxing, step-ups on a bench or cardio step and mountain climbers.  

Yes, performing circuit training should help improve your cardiovascular endurance depending on your fitness level. Circuit training involves performing sets of strength training exercises in rapid succession, with no rest, thereby creating increased demand on the cardiovascular system throughout the duration of the workout. Circuit training has shown to be as beneficial as walking at a brisk pace. You can also incorporate stage training into your circuit training in order to create a more demanding type of cardio regimen. In this scenario, if you are beginner exerciser, you could perform 10 minutes of light to moderate aerobic exercise before and after your circuit weight training. If you are an intermediate exerciser, perform 10 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise (60-85% of maximum heart rate) before and after your circuit weight training. If you are an advanced exerciser, perform 10 minutes of moderate to advanced cardiovascular exercise (60-90% of heart rate max) before your circuit training and then 10 minutes of moderate cardio training (60-85% of heart rate max) after the circuit.

Continue Learning about Cardiovascular Training

The Truth About Fat Burning
The Truth About Fat Burning
You'll find it on virtually every cardio machine at the gym: instructions on how to hit your fat-burning zone. You get to work out slower (exercise to...
How much cardio exercise should I do?
St. David’s HealthCareSt. David’s HealthCare
You should do cardiovascular exercise most days of the week. Walking is the cheapest and easiest way...
How many days a week should I do cardiovascular training?
It is always best to begin slowly and build up your time with any exercise. Too many people try ...
YOU: The Owner's Manual Workout - Cardio with Joel Harper