How much cardio should I be doing during the football season?

The typical football schedule consists of one game every seven days, so an in-season conditioning schedule is much more dense than other sports which often have multiple games in a week. The general rule when training in-season for any sport is to perform two high-intensity cardiovascular workouts in a week. The game is considered one of these high intensity days. This means if you don't play in the game, then you should do some high-intensity intervals that day or the next to keep your fitness level up. If are playing, then you should participate in just one additional high-intensity training day for 10-20 minutes. This is typically done three days before your next game. You might complete an additional day of endurance training a couple times a week, and at least one day of recovery using low-intensity activity.  Endurance training for football can be simple drills using ladders, position cone drills, or light shuttle runs. The goal of endurance training is to get the heart rate near the anaerobic threshold for up to 20 minutes with little rest.

Continue Learning about Cardiovascular Training

Why am I losing muscle even though I'm doing cardio training?
The key to successful metabolic training is working in a precise target heart rate zone, and properl...
What are additional ways to use an ergometer?
What are additional ways to use an ergometer? Vary the routine on an upper-body ergometer by standin...
Will doing cardio on an empty stomach maximize fat burning?
Will doing cardio on an empty stomach maximize fat burning? No. Burning fat requires energy gained f...
YOU: The Owner's Manual Workout - Cardio with Joel Harper