Do breads contain carbohydrates?

Amy Campbell
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

All types of bread (white, whole wheat, rye, pumpernickel) contain carbohydrate. In general, a one-ounce slice of bread contains about 15 grams of carbohydrate (carb), which is called "one carb choice." Some breads are lower in carbs than others, so they may have about half as much carb as a regular slice. Always read the Nutrition Facts label for both the serving size and the amount of Total Carbohydrate.

Toby Smithson

Yes, breads contain carbohydrate although in varying amounts. In general, a slice of bread contains 15 grams of carbohydrate. Check the nutrition facts panel of the bread and look at total carbohydrate to find out how much carb is in that 1 slice of bread. For people with diabetes, if there is 5 grams or more of fiber, you may subtract half of the fiber grams from the total carbohydrate to get the amount of carb you will digest.

Judy Caplan

Breads contain about 15 grams of carbohydrate per slice. 15 grams of carbohydrate is considered one serving. If you are trying to lose weight it is recommended that you limit the amount of carbohydrates you eat in a day. Approximately four servings a day will help you drop weight.

Continue Learning about Carbohydrates

Toddler Drinks and Infant Formula Can Have Hidden Sugars
Attention parents: Read the nutrition facts and ingredient label of all toddler drinks and infant formula. In a study published in Preventive Medicine...
How can I get the emotional benefits of carbs when I'm cutting them?
Chris PowellChris Powell
To get the emotional benefits of carbs when you're cutting them, you need to find that emotional sat...
How can hidden sugars in food impact my carbohydrate intake?
Many times, certain foods will contain added sugars that are a hidden serving of simple carbohydrate...
How Is Insulin Related to Carbohydrates?