Why do I need more carbohydrates than protein in my diet?

Neal Spruce
Neal Spruce on behalf of dotFIT
Fitness

Carbohydrates are pure energy foods that you continually use to keep your body alive and in motion. Protein is used primarily to maintain structures that already exist, and therefore very little is needed. A 150LB person doesn't need any more than 100gms of protein unless they are in heavy training and/or dieting, at which point they may need to go as high as 1gm of protein per pound of body weight. As an example, 150gms of protein is 1/3LB and no one can put on that much new muscle every day (that would be almost 2lbs/wk for the rest of your life) but an active 150LB person will use 400-500gms of carbohydrates daily to support normal energy needs.

Continue Learning about Carbohydrates and Health

Why Should I Avoid Eating Refined Carbohydrates?
How Does the Body Use Carbohydrates?
How Does the Body Use Carbohydrates?
What's the Difference Between Refined Carbohydrates and Slow Sugars?