How long does burn pain last?

Burn pain can last anywhere from minutes to months, depending on the burn that is causing it. A minor burn may cause only fleeting burn pain that goes away within an hour. Most burn pain should dissipate within days to weeks. With more severe burns, the burn pain can be extensive and take months to heal.

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Burn pain with entrapment of nerve endings can persist for years. However, in the majority of healed smaller burns, the pain will usually resolve with several weeks. The deeper the burn (third degree being full thickness) may have a continual throbbing and dull pain for months even after debridement and skin grafting. Finally, new nerve growth into a full thickness skin graft may present with pain for several months.

Continue Learning about Burn Pain Treatment

What is burn pain?
Burn pain is the hurt you feel after you have a burn--a tissue injury caused by heat, chemicals, ele...
Can burn pain be emotional?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
I think that any pain often has an emotional component, especially when it's chronic. One thing that...
How is the pain different for the three levels of burn?
Alexander M. Majidian, MDAlexander M. Majidian, MD
Different types of burns have different types of pain, says Alexander Majidian, MD, FACS of the Gros...
Should I talk to my doctor about my burn pain symptoms?
Minor burn pain may not need a doctor's care, but more serious burn pain does. Minor burn pain from ...