How long does burn pain last?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Burn pain with entrapment of nerve endings can persist for years. However, in the majority of healed smaller burns, the pain will usually resolve with several weeks. The deeper the burn (third degree being full thickness) may have a continual throbbing and dull pain for months even after debridement and skin grafting. Finally, new nerve growth into a full thickness skin graft may present with pain for several months.

Burn pain can last anywhere from minutes to months, depending on the burn that is causing it. A minor burn may cause only fleeting burn pain that goes away within an hour. Most burn pain should dissipate within days to weeks. With more severe burns, the burn pain can be extensive and take months to heal.

Continue Learning about Burn Pain Treatment

How is burn pain diagnosed?
Burn pain is usually diagnosed by your doctor through history, symptoms, and a review of your skin. ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my burn pain symptoms?
Minor burn pain may not need a doctor's care, but more serious burn pain does. Minor burn pain from ...
How common is burn pain?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Burn pain is normally seen in the majority of second and third degree burns. These are thermal injur...
What are the symptoms of burn pain?
Symptoms of burn pain can be either continuous dull pain or sharp needle like pain depending on degr...