What is visualized breathing?

Dr. Marni Feuerman, LCSW, MFT
Marriage & Family Therapy Specialist

Both visualization and breathing exercises have been found to be really successful stress relief strategies. Here are some ways that you can use visualization techniques with breathing exercises to achieve quick and effective stress relief.

1. Find a comfortable place where you can close your eyes and combine slowed breathing with your imagination.
  2. Picture relaxation entering your body and tension leaving your body. Breathe deeply, but in a natural rhythm.
  3. Visualize your breath coming into your nostrils, going to your lungs and expanding our chest.
  4. Then visualize your breath going out the same way.
  5. Continue breathing, but each time you inhale, imagine that you are breathing in more relaxation.
  6. Each time you exhale imagine that you are getting rid of a little more tension.

Continue Learning about Breathing Exercise Techniques

What is the "Looking at the Moon" exercise to loosen my diaphragm?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
The following are the steps for the Looking at the Moon exercise:1. Bend over at the waist, with arm...
How do I practice abdominal breathing?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
To do abdominal breathing, take a moment right now to notice how you're breathing: are you breat...
How do I take a cleansing breath?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
To take a cleansing breath: Inhale deeply into your belly, through the nose (if you can't, use you...
What is the "Pushing the Sky" exercise to loosen my diaphragm?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
The following are the steps for Pushing the Sky exercise:1. Stand erect but relaxed with arms extend...