How are the stages of breast cancer determined?

If breast cancer is found, more tests will be done to find out the size and extent of the cancer in the breast and to determine whether the cancer has spread from the breast to other parts of the body. This is called staging. The stages range from Stage 0 (a very early cancer) to Stage IV (the cancer has spread to other organs of the body). It may also be classified as recurrent (the cancer has come back after being treated), according to the American Joint Committee on Cancer, seventh edition.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer

Support Groups for Metastatic Breast Cancer
Being diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer is a life-changing event, one that can leave even the strongest of people feeling frightened, overwhelme...
What Genetic Testing Is There for Breast Cancer?
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?
Is It Possible for Breast Cancer to Become a Chronic Disease?