When should I call my doctor if I had cosmetic augmentation mammaplasty?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

Our patients are instructed to call us immediately for a fever, increasing pain, swelling or redness. Early signs of problems include unilateral swelling and pain. Signs of bleeding or hematoma include pain, blood from the incision, numbness in the affected arm (compression of the brachial plexus, sensory nerves), and asymmetry. Signs of infection include redness, cellulitis, fever over 101.5, and extreme tenderness. Both are urgent matters requiring immediate attention including possibility of re-operation. Signs of pain in the calf, shortness of breath may be symptoms of deep venous thrombus, and possible pulmonary embolus requiring immediate emergency room attention.

Continue Learning about Breast Augmentation

What is a double-bubble deformity after breast implant surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
One of the most disturbing malformations after breast surgery occurs when the implants are place...
What happens when infection and bleeding occur after breast augmentation?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Breast augmentation has the standard risks of infection and bleeding. Infection is rare but when...
When Is Breast Reconstruction Surgery Performed?
What Is a Breast Expander?
What Is a Breast Expander?