What is breast implant surgery?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

Breast implant surgery is a major operation performed under general anesthesia in which either a saline or silicone implant is placed in each breast. The implants may be placed either subglandular (above the muscle) or subpectoral/dual plane technique (preferred method- under the muscle). The implants are either saline (water-filled) or silicone gel (prefilled with silicone viscous material). The goal is to enhance the women's breast both in projection, cleavage, and enhanced lateral fullness. The approaches to place the implants vary with surgeons (under the areolar-periareolar, under the fold- inframammary approach, under the axillae- transaxillary approach, and through the umbilcus- transumbilical approach). My preferred method, having placed well over 15,000 implants is through the periareolar approach due to ease and safety and reproducible results. Only Board-Certified Plastic surgeons should perform the breast enhancement surgery. Make sure your surgeon is a Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery (there are NO substitutes)!! 

Continue Learning about Breast Augmentation

What happens when breast implants rupture?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
In the past, breast implant rupture was a common problem. Even today, no one knows exactly what ...
Why are my breasts asymmetric?
No one really knows what causes breasts to develop differently from one another, but possible contri...
What Should I Expect When Recovering From Breast Augmentation Surgery?
What Are the Long-Term Effects of Breast Augmentation Surgery?