What is cosmetic augmentation mammaplasty?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

Cosmetic augmentation mammaplasty is an elective plastic surgical procedure with the goal to enlarge the size and shape of the breast. It should be differentiated from reconstructive mammaplasty, used to re-create a breast or both breasts after a mastectomy for breast cancer. Both silicone and saline implants are used and approved by the FDA for cosmetic and reconstructive purposes. I personally have placed over 10,000 implants in my practice in Beverly Hills, California. My favored approach is placing the implant under the muscle and through the peri-areolar incision (under the nipple-areolar complex). Breast implants increase the size and volume of the breast and may give a slight lift at the same time. For patients with severe skin laxity, a breast lift or mastopexy should be performed. Only Board-Certified Plastic Surgeons should EVER perform breast augmentation and reconstructive procedures!

Continue Learning about Breast Augmentation

What should I do during a breast augmentation consultation?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
It is vital that you have realistic expectations about breast augmentation and that you review many,...
What is the difference between shaped and round breast implants?
Imaging studies of the chest have shown that both shaped (anatomical) and round breast implants ...
What Should I Expect When Recovering From Breast Augmentation Surgery?
What Are the Long-Term Effects of Breast Augmentation Surgery?