How long does it take to recover from breast augmentation surgery?

Thomas A. Imahiyerobo, MD
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Recovery from breast augmentation typically takes one to two weeks. 
Erik A. Hoy, MD
Plastic Surgery
This varies from patient to patient, with different implant sizes and positioning, and likely, between surgeons. Larger implants are going to require more dissection and more stretching of the tissues. Recovery times likely vary between subglandular implant placement, and subpectoral placement. Even surgeons can't reach a consensus: There are those surgeons who tout a 24-hour recovery, or claim that patients are out to dinner the same evening. However, a few weeks of slight discomfort and a gradual resumption of activities is likely more realistic. Activities such as strenuous exercise with the upper extremities and those that require that you lift your arms above your shoulders should be avoided in the postoperative period for at least several weeks.
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

In general, recovery from breast augmentation surgery is normally 4 to 6 weeks. Placing the implants under the muscle through the subpectoral dual plane usually will take several weeks longer to heal than placing an implant in the retromammary or subglandular plane above the muscle. Swelling and edema can continue for up to 6 to 8 weeks. Our patient's are instructed not to do any heavy lifting for the first 3 weeks to prevent tearing, bleeding, or hematoma, wear sports bras for up to 1 month, as well as an upper pole compression bands in order to bring the implants down to a normal level.

Tara Whitworth
Nursing
Your breasts will be swollen and sore for several days after breast augmentation surgery. You will need to limit your activity for several weeks. By week 6 you should be able to resume normal activities.

Continue Learning about Breast Augmentation

What exactly are high profile breast implants?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Implant profiles come in 3 profiles: moderate, moderate plus, and high profile. A high profile impla...
Who should choose anatomical breast implants?
Due to the many complications associated with Anatomical or Tear Drop implants, I do not recomme...
What Is a Breast Expander?
What Is a Breast Expander?
What Should I Expect When Recovering From Breast Augmentation Surgery?