What assistive devices can help me after hip replacement surgery?

Assistive devices that can help after hip replacement surgery include a walker, crutches and a cane. Right after hip replacement surgery, many people find that a walker is helpful for balance during walking. This is typically replaced by crutches or a cane. All people follow a different time course after hip replacement, but eventually, they are walking unassisted. For some people, this happens in a number of days. For others, it may take a number of weeks.

After hip-replacement surgery, you may use assistive equipment to help you with tasks while you are recovering at home. This equipment will help you function while keeping your new hip in a safe position. You may have:
  • A tool to reach items
  • A raised toilet seat
  • A sponge with a handle for the shower or bath
  • A device to help you put on your shoes or socks
  • A large pillow to place between your legs to help keep your legs in the correct position (this looks like a tall triangle)
Consistently use any assistive equipment you have. Keep using these devices until your therapist says you no longer need them. They will make it less likely for you to damage your hip.

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Injuries

4 Proven Ways to Control Pain After Surgery
More than one million Americans undergo a total hip or total knee replacement each year.  Because both surgical procedures typically involve weeks of ...
What are knee overuse injuries?
Scott D. Martin, MDScott D. Martin, MD
The knee can be compared to an expensive sports car—a finely tuned machine that is capable of gr...
What is traditional shoulder replacement surgery?
Regional Medical Center Bayonet PointRegional Medical Center Bayonet Point
When performing shoulder replacement therapy, the ball of the socket is removed, a stem inserted and...
How Should I Use Ice and Heat to Treat Pain?