What is the D antigen (Rh factor) in the blood?

D antigen is a protein with many parts, found on the surface of red blood cells. The D antigen is also known as the "Rh factor," and it tells your blood type. People are either D (Rh) negative or D (Rh) positive. If your blood type is D negative, your red blood cells do not have the D antigen.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Can I donate blood if I have an infection?
Can I donate blood if I have an infection? If you have a fever or an active infection, wait until th...
How does blood help fight infection?
How does blood help fight infection? Proteins known as complement proteins circulate in the blood, c...
Can I donate blood if I have undergone dental procedures recently?
Can I donate blood if I have undergone dental procedures recently? It is acceptable to donate blood ...
How do white blood cells fight infection?
White blood cells and infection. Learn how various types of white blood cells work in the body to at...