question

What is the D antigen (Rh factor) in the blood?

Aurora Health Care
Aurora Health Care
answer
D antigen is a protein with many parts, found on the surface of red blood cells. The D antigen is also known as the "Rh factor," and it tells your blood type. People are either D (Rh) negative or D (Rh) positive. If your blood type is D negative, your red blood cells do not have the D antigen.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Why is the D antigen (Rh factor) important during pregnancy?
Why is the D antigen (Rh factor) important during pregnancy? Learn more from our experts about D ant...
What is hemoglobin and how does it work?
Hemoglobin in the blood. Find out how hemoglobin takes oxygen from the lungs, through the capillarie...
Can I donate blood if I have had a blood transfusion?
Can I donate blood if I have had a blood transfusion? In the United States is necessary for you to w...
Do I have to wait to donate blood if I have just had surgery?
Do I have to wait to donate blood if I have just had surgery? Donors are deferred until their surgic...