Can I donate blood if I have been incarcerated?

Persons who have been detained or incarcerated in a facility (juvenile detention, lockup, jail, or prison) for more than 72 consecutive hours (3 days) cannot donate blood for 12 months from the date of last occurrence. This includes work release programs and weekend incarceration. These persons are at higher risk for exposure to infectious diseases.
Guidelines on eligibility to give blood change from time to time. The most up-to-date eligibility information can be obtained by contacting the American Red Cross blood center nearest you.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
Do I have to wait to donate blood if I have just had surgery?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Donors are deferred until their surgical wounds have healed. The underlying condition that precipita...
What is a blood cell count?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
A blood cell count is a blood test that includes levels of white blood cells and red blood cells...