Can I donate blood if I am on hormone replacement therapy (HRT)?

Women on hormone replacement therapy for menopausal symptoms and prevention of osteoporosis are eligible to donate blood.
Guidelines on eligibility to give blood change from time to time. The most up-to-date eligibility information can be obtained by contacting the American Red Cross blood center nearest you.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
What medications prevent people from donating blood?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
In almost all cases, medications will not disqualify you as a blood donor. Your eligibility will be ...
How long can cord blood be stored?
Current research has shown that cord blood can be stored indefinitely if stored cryogenically and un...