Can I donate blood if I have used intravenous drugs?

Those who have ever used IV drugs that were not prescribed by a physician are not eligible to donate. This requirement is related to concerns about hepatitis and HIV.
The most up-to-date eligibility information can be obtained by contacting the American Red Cross blood center nearest you.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
Why is so much blood drawn for different blood tests?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Don’t you just love it when they roll a stainless tray over to your elbow and there are six differen...
How is cord blood preserved and stored?
Cord blood is collected from the umbilical cord immediately after birth, into a gravity bag. The blo...