Can I donate blood if I have asthma?

If you have asthma, you may donate blood as long as you are not having difficulty breathing at the time of donation and you otherwise feel well. Medications for asthma do not disqualify you from donating.
Guidelines on eligibility to give blood change from time to time. The most up-to-date eligibility information can be obtained by contacting the American Red Cross blood center nearest you.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
What should I do before donating blood?
Before donating blood you should maintain a healthy diet high in iron. On the day of the donation, d...
Should I wait to donate blood if I have received a vaccination?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
You may donate blood if you were vaccinated for influenza, tetanus or meningitis, providing you are ...