Can I donate blood if I have asthma?

If you have asthma, you may donate blood as long as you are not having difficulty breathing at the time of donation and you otherwise feel well. Medications for asthma do not disqualify you from donating.
Guidelines on eligibility to give blood change from time to time. The most up-to-date eligibility information can be obtained by contacting the American Red Cross blood center nearest you.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
What are the symptoms of decreased blood flow in the neck?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
When the neck arteries (carotid arteries) become occluded, symptoms such as dizziness, confusion...
What is meant by the Rh (rhesus factor)?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Most people have an inherited antigen on their red blood cells known as Rh, or D antigen. When the D...