As a catcher, how can I keep my knees healthy?

Sure, the physical stress of being in a catcher's position can be challenging, but it does not have to be detrimental to your health or playing career. During practice, you can relieve some of the stress by sitting on a small bucket or cooler while catching. Be sure to have enough balls available so you're not always having to chase the ones that get away or throw every pitch right back. In addition, initiating a corrective exercise program can help keep your knees healthy. Catchers need good flexibility in their quadriceps and hips. In addition, a strong and stable core and gluteals will help keep a lot of the pressure off your knees. The first part of a corrective exercise program can begin with foam rolling (a form of self-massage) for the calves, inner thighs, piriformis (small butt muscle), and quadriceps. When foam rolling a muscle, find a tender spot and hold for at least 30 seconds. This will help the muscle relax and alleviate any knots. Next, static stretch the calves, hips flexors, and piriformis, holding each stretch for 30 seconds. This will allow the muscles enough time to relax and elongate, improving range of motion. After stretching, some light strengthening exercises can help improve strength of the muscles that help stabilize the knee. Perform a single-leg balance reach, floor bridge, and lateral tube walking; complete 1-3 set of 10-15 repetitions, using a slow tempo.

Continue Learning about Baseball

How do metal cleats differ from rubber cleats for baseball players?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Metal cleats do provide slightly better traction on dirt and grass compared to rubber cleats. So...
How can I assess upper-body power in baseball and softball players?
Upper-body power in baseball or softball players can be assessed using a test such as the rotati...
What does it mean for a catcher to frame pitches?
Framing is a technique that catchers use to make a pitch that is close to the strike zone look l...
Should I ride my bike to help my baseball?
If running is not possible due to injury or some other limitation, then cycling is a fine altern...