When does the human brain stop growing?

Until relatively recently, scientists believed that a human being's brain growth was complete and the structure was essentially fixed by age 3. Of course, connections between neurons were rewired as children acquired information, but for the most part, the blueprint for the brain was set.

With the use of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), however, scientists have been able to see inside the brain and to learn that the brain apparently undergoes a growth spurt during the teenage years.

This may help explain why teens seem to turn into an army of emotional loose cannons.

Continue Learning about Brain Health

7 Science-Backed Ways to Keep Your Memory Strong
7 Science-Backed Ways to Keep Your Memory Strong7 Science-Backed Ways to Keep Your Memory Strong7 Science-Backed Ways to Keep Your Memory Strong7 Science-Backed Ways to Keep Your Memory Strong
It’s not too late to start doing these mind-preserving tricks. We all forget things from time to time. Where did I put those car keys? What did I need...
How Is the Mind Affected by the Health of the Body?
What Is Mindsight?
What Is Mindsight?
How Can Probiotics Help Improve My Brain Health?