How should I do side arm raise exercises?

A great exercise that works the shoulders is alternating side and front arm raises. In this video, Heather Carty, of Memorial Hospital Jacksonville's H.E.A.R.T Fitness Center, demonstrates the proper form for side and front arm raises.
  1. Keep feet pointed straight ahead.
  2. Hold dumbbells in each hand and keep arms to the side of body.

Movement

1. Raise both arms, to the side of the body to shoulder level.
  2. Keep shoulder blades retracted and depressed throughout the exercise. Do not allow the low-back to arch.
  3. Hold.
  4. Return arms slowly back to the side of the body and repeat.

Preparation

Continue Learning about Arm Exercises

Kiss Arm Flap Goodbye
Kiss Arm Flap Goodbye
Call it the Sleeveless Swing: You wave hello to someone and that bit of upper arm flab keeps on swaying and flapping long after you’ve moved on down t...
What can I do to get the peak on the top of my bicep?
Unfortunately, if you are not born with the genetic predisposition for this "peak" you will not be a...
How should I do a push-up?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
Here is how to do push-ups: Get down on your hands and toes with your hands a little wider than ...
How do I use a biceps curl machine?
Adjust the settings at a biceps curl machine and select your desired weight.  Curl your hands toward...