What happens if my anemia goes untreated?

Anemia is when there are not enough red blood cells in the body. It can be short-term or chronic, but it is generally easily treated and monitored. If left untreated, the symptoms of anemia will become worse over time. Some of these symptoms are: fatigue, weakness, heart palpitations, shortness of breath or lightheadness. If anemia is not treated, the heart continues to pump harder to get oxygen through the body. As the anemia goes on, the symptoms will continue to get worse. Folic acid can be taken with or without food and has little to no side effects. Iron can cause stomach upset, but taking it with a meal usually helps to reduce this side effect. If you have more concerns about your medication regimen or the anemia, please make an appointment with your doctor to discuss your concerns.

Continue Learning about Anemia

Know the Risks of Anemia
Know the Risks of Anemia
So, you've been diagnosed with anemia—or, you fear you might have it. How did you get here? What led to this point?  Simply speaking, anemia is a sho...
My Story: Nikkie and IDA
My Story: Nikkie and IDA
Iron-deficiency anemia, or IDA, is when you have unhealthy blood cells due to not having enough iron present in the body. In this video, Nikkie shares...
Can Iron-Deficiency Anemia Impact Your Mental Health?
Iron-deficiency anemia occurs when your body doesn't have enough iron. As a result, it’s unable to produce adequate amounts of hemoglobin—a protein in...
What causes hyperbilirubinemia?
Hyperbilirubinemia is a result of an elevated level of bilirubin in the blood. Bilirubin is a by-pro...