What happens if my anemia goes untreated?

Anemia is when there are not enough red blood cells in the body. It can be short-term or chronic, but it is generally easily treated and monitored. If left untreated, the symptoms of anemia will become worse over time. Some of these symptoms are: fatigue, weakness, heart palpitations, shortness of breath or lightheadness. If anemia is not treated, the heart continues to pump harder to get oxygen through the body. As the anemia goes on, the symptoms will continue to get worse. Folic acid can be taken with or without food and has little to no side effects. Iron can cause stomach upset, but taking it with a meal usually helps to reduce this side effect. If you have more concerns about your medication regimen or the anemia, please make an appointment with your doctor to discuss your concerns.

Continue Learning about Anemia

Is it Fatigue or Do I Have Anemia?
Is it Fatigue or Do I Have Anemia?
Many people experience fatigue at some point, that profound physical and mental exhaustion that leaves you weary, sleepy, unmotivated and lacking stam...
What You Need to Know About Anemia
What You Need to Know About Anemia
Learn more about anemia, a condition characterized by low red blood cell counts, that affects about 30% of the world's population. 
What are the Less Common Types of Anemia?
When most people hear the word “anemia” they think of low iron levels, and for good reason—iron-deficiency anemia (IDA) is the most common type of ane...
Menstruation, GI Disorders, and Iron Deficiency Anemia
Anemia refers to a group of disorders that occur when the blood does not contain enough red blood cells, or the red blood cells it does contain do not...