What OTC allergy medicines are safe for me if I have high blood pressure?

There are non-prescription drugs that can be used safely if you have high blood pressure. A common problem with these drugs is that they may contain more than one medication. It is important to look at the ingredients to see what is included in each product.

Many people find relief of allergy symptoms by taking antihistamines. These include:

• diphenhydramine
  • chlorpheniramine
  • hydroxyzine

They can cause drowsiness, so be careful if driving or at work. Newer antihistamines like loratadine and certirizine cause less drowsiness.

Decongestants are also available without a prescription. The most common decongestants are:

• pseudoephedrine
  • phenylephrine

You should avoid these if you have high blood pressure, especially if your blood pressure has been difficult to control. If you have high blood pressure, check the ingredients of all over-the-counter allergy products to be sure they do not contain pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine.

Dr. Alan M. Young, MD

There are over-the-counter (OTC) allergy medicines that are safe for you if you have high blood pressure. The first thing that is recommended may be an antihistamine, like loratadine, cetirizine or fexofenadine.

Continue Learning about Allergies Treatments

Do's and Don'ts to Calm Watery, Itchy Eyes
Endless sneezing and stuffed-up noses drive most allergy sufferers to see their doctors. But many people put up with itchy, watery eyes and dark under...
Why is it important to keep taking my allergy medication?
Many allergy drugs not only relieve symptoms once you get them, but some are also designed to ef...
How long does an allergy shot take to work?
Allergy shots are designed to help your body recognize the allergen better, thus decreasing your all...
What Is Skeeter Syndrome?
What Is Skeeter Syndrome?