What OTC allergy medicines are safe for me if I have high blood pressure?

Dr. Alan Young, MD

There are over-the-counter (OTC) allergy medicines that are safe for you if you have high blood pressure. The first thing that is recommended may be an antihistamine, like loratadine, cetirizine or fexofenadine.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

There are non-prescription drugs that can be used safely if you have high blood pressure. A common problem with these drugs is that they may contain more than one medication. It is important to look at the ingredients to see what is included in each product.

Many people find relief of allergy symptoms by taking antihistamines. These include:

• diphenhydramine
  • chlorpheniramine
  • hydroxyzine

They can cause drowsiness, so be careful if driving or at work. Newer antihistamines like loratadine and certirizine cause less drowsiness.

Decongestants are also available without a prescription. The most common decongestants are:

• pseudoephedrine
  • phenylephrine

You should avoid these if you have high blood pressure, especially if your blood pressure has been difficult to control. If you have high blood pressure, check the ingredients of all over-the-counter allergy products to be sure they do not contain pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine.

Continue Learning about Allergies Treatments

Do's and Don'ts to Calm Watery, Itchy Eyes
Endless sneezing and stuffed-up noses drive most allergy sufferers to see their doctors. But many people put up with itchy, watery eyes and dark under...
How effective is cromolyn nasal spray?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Cromolyn can provide relief of nasal itching, sneezing, and runny nose, but is less effective for re...
How effective are allergy tablets?
Allergy tablets and allergy shots are equally effective in controlling allergy symptoms, and both pr...
Are Allergy Shots a Good Option If I Have Allergies?