An allergist is a board-certified allergy/immunology specialist who goes through a full internal medicine or pediatric residency (three years), plus an additional two years dedicated only to the study of allergy/immunology based problems. Allergists are the right choice for the following situations:
- You want the full range of medication options for treatment.
- You want access to all types of immunotherapy and want to use the nationally standardized immunotherapy protocols.
- You are unsure if you have an allergy and are curious to know your options.
- You do not want surgery or want to look at other options before surgery.
- You have questions about asthma, about food allergy (or food allergy verus food intolerance), eczema, cough, medication allergy or insect allergies.
- You need a sinus surgery (or any other head/neck surgery).
- You need help with structural problems, including narrow passages or a broken nose.
- Medication is not helping your symptoms and a surgical option is possible.