Is it safe to continue my allergy shots during pregnancy?

If you have started allergy shots prior to becoming pregnant, they can safely be continued during pregnancy as long as you have never had a serious reaction to your allergy shots in the past. Women should not begin allergy shots, change or increase their dose during pregnancy.

Maintenance doses of allergy shots are safe during pregnancy. Because the injections contain your allergy triggers, the most likely time to experience a reaction is during the initial build-up period, when you first start allergy shots. A severe allergic reaction in a pregnant woman could affect the well-being of the developing fetus, so it's probably not a good idea to start the immunotherapy and build up the dose during pregnancy. Also, pregnant women should not take allergy skin tests. Pregnancy may worsen or improve allergy symptoms. If you are taking allergy shots while you are pregnant, your physician should carefully monitor you. In some cases, physicians will lower the dose of the allergy shots during pregnancy to reduce the chance of a reaction.

Continue Learning about Allergies Treatments

Do's and Don'ts to Calm Watery, Itchy Eyes
Endless sneezing and stuffed-up noses drive most allergy sufferers to see their doctors. But many people put up with itchy, watery eyes and dark under...
What OTC allergy medicines are safe for me if I have high blood pressure?
Dr. Alan Young, MDDr. Alan Young, MD
There are over-the-counter (OTC) allergy medicines that are safe for you if you have high blood pres...
How long does an allergy shot take to work?
Allergy shots are designed to help your body recognize the allergen better, thus decreasing your all...
How Can I Alleviate My Allergies?
How Can I Alleviate My Allergies?