Why has my acne treatment stopped working?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Because acne is a chronic condition of the skin that can wax and wane over a period of many years, treatments occasionally need to be adjusted in order to account for flares of the acne or acne that becomes resistant to the current treatment.

Most acne treatment regimens are done on a rotational basis, meaning that you start with one regimen that works for you. Over time, you may notice that in spite of using the products as directed, you start to get new lesions on a regular basis. One or all of the medications will then need to be changed. When the new regimen again becomes less effective, the rotation continues to either new products or products that were effective in the past but have not been used for a while.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

What should I avoid while taking oral isotretinoin for acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
To lessen side effects and reduce the risk of birth defects, anyone taking oral isotretinoin sho...
What can I expect from a light chemical peel for my acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Chemical peels are an increasingly popular treatment to treat acne and to minimize scarring from...
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?