What are some prescription medicines for acne?

There are lots of other options, depending on your level of inflammation, the type of pimples you have (cystic, nodular), and what has or hasn't worked for you in the past. They include prescriptions a dermatologist can give you, such as:
  • Topical retinoids (tretinoin, tazarotene, and adapalene), used either alone or mixed with an antibiotic lotion (usually clindamycin or erythromycin).
  • Oral antibiotics, such as extended-release minocycline, which only has to be taken once a day (these antibiotics act as anti-inflammatories).
  • Oral contraceptives, which often can help; they are what stopped my teenage acne.
  • Isotretinoin (Accutane), an oral vitamin A derivative that really knocks out severe or stubborn acne. It also is the only medication in the world known to stop the scarring some people experience with acne. Accutane does have more risks associated with it and, because it can cause birth defects, women who use Accutane must register with the drug maker (iPLEDGE is the program), stating that they are not pregnant. Birth-control pills are typically prescribed with Accutane to ensure there are no accidents. People will also need to have regular blood tests to monitor liver and kidney function while taking Accutane. Whether you are a candidate for Accutane (and you've tried everything else) is a question for you and your doctor to determine. It can be an incredibly powerful treatment for severe acne, and has changed the lives of many people who cannot find solutions in other treatment plans.
From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Does topical salicylic acid have any side effects?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Skin irritation may occur around the treated area. Serious allergic reactions have occurred, but are...
If my hormone levels are normal, will hormone therapy help my acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
It is important to note that hormonal therapy can be very effective in women even if the blood l...
What Topical Products Can Help Treat Acne Blemishes?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?