What is drainage and extraction treatment for acne?

Drainage and extraction is a type of acne surgery performed by a dermatologist (a doctor who specializes in treating skin, hair, and nail conditions). Drainage and extraction of an acne comedo (a medical term describing a pimple) or skin cyst is done at the doctor's office under sterile conditions. Having a dermatologist perform drainage and extraction of acne can prevent worsening of the condition, scarring, and spreading skin bacteria such as staphylococci and streptococci.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Is there benefit to using topical acne treatments with oral medications?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The effectiveness of oral acne medications is increased and complimented when used in conjunction wi...
What can I use for acne while I'm pregnant?
Pregnancy-safe acne remedies include prescription topical erythromycin or azeleic acid, or over-the-...
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?