What is the usual dosing to treat acne with oral isotretinoin?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
The usual dose varies depending on your weight and the severity of your acne. First, you need to determine how much you weigh in kilograms, as opposed to pounds. The dose can range from 0.1 to 2 mg/kg, with the most common dose being 0.8 mg/kg/day divided into two -- morning and night. Oral isotretinoin is best absorbed and most effective when taken with food and when taken twice a day.

Your doctor may decide to start you on a lower dose for the first month or two so that you can acclimate to the side effects to at least some extent and then increase the dose for the rest of the 16- to 20-week course of therapy. In some cases, higher doses for longer than 20 weeks may be required for adequate results. In some very severe cases of acne, oral prednisone, a corticosteroid, is also given for 2 to 6 weeks, usually before oral isotretinoin treatment is begun.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How should I apply moisturizer if I'm treating my acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The moisturizer is applied over the morning acne regimen, and any makeup can be applied over the moi...
Why should I avoid picking at my acne pimples?
If you have a habit of picking more winners from your nose then the stock market, you may want to he...
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?