How should I care for my baby's acne?

This undesirable, yet relatively harmless baby rash usually shows up at 3 or 4 weeks after birth and for many babies, improves by 2 or 3 months. Exposure to the hormones that are transferred from mom to baby are often to blame. Most of the time, the best treatment for baby acne is no treatment at all. You can simply continue to gently wash your baby’s skin with plain water or a mild fragrance-free baby soap or shampoo. In addition, ask your pediatrician if it might help to use 1% hydrocortisone on specific spots once or twice a day for 1 or 2 days to temporarily tame them for a special event or photo. Don’t  worry, just because your infant develops acne does not mean he will have  more acne as a teen.
Mommy Calls: Dr. Tanya Answers Parents' Top 101 Questions About Babies and Toddlers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------The must-have resource for parents of children up to age three! Small enough to fit in a diaper bag, but big on...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

What can I expect from a light chemical peel for my acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Chemical peels are an increasingly popular treatment to treat acne and to minimize scarring from...
What is radiofrequency treatment for acne scars?
If you are considering a cosmetic procedure or treatment, you should consult a dermatologist about w...
How can I get my old acne scars treated?
The choice to have a cosmetic procedure is a personal one. While all women are beautiful in their ...
Why should I avoid taking my oral acne antibiotic at bedtime?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
When taking an oral antibiotic, it is important to know the dose you are taking and how many tim...