How often do I moisturize my skin when taking prescription acne medication?

James M.. Wilmott
Dermatology

Many oral or topical prescription acne treatments treat acne by reducing sebaceous oils (Retin A, Accutane, Tararotene), killing acne-causing bacteria (Benzoyl Peroxide, Clindamycin, Erythromycin) or controlling the release of surface skin cells that can cause a blockage in the follicles (Salicylic acid, Dapsone, Ammonium Lactate).  These treatments are often associated with side effects including: dryness , peeling of the skin and/or a burning, stinging or tingling sensation.  Moisturizers should be used regularly especially with those treatments based on reducing sebum secretions such as retinoic acid, isoretinoic acid, or arotinoids.  However, people who are using prescribed treatments for acne should use a moisturized that is designed for acne-prone skin.  These are free of comedogenic agents that can aggregate the formation of acne. 

I usually recommend that patients moisturize once or twice daily when taking acne medications. The specific regimen depends on what types of medications you are using, so it is best to touch base with your prescribing dermatologist!

There are no hard & fast rules when it comes to the frequency of moisturizers for acne-prone skin. Today's acne medications tend to be less drying than those available in the past. Some are found in cream and lotion bases that may provide all the hydration your skin needs, but others might be drying or irritating to your skin. Be sure to tell your doctor if your acne medicine is drying your skin out, making it red, or causing you discomfort.

There are 2 circumstances when you should use moisturizer: (1) when your skin feels tight, dry, or flaky; and (2) when you're going outdoors during the day and your skin will be exposed to the sun or wind.

Look for a daytime moisturizer that's labeled oil-free, non-pore-clogging, or non-comedogenic, and be sure it has SPF (Sun Protection Factor) of 15 or higher for everyday use in temperate climates.  Use SPF 30 or higher for tropical climates, skiing, outdoor sports, or the beach.

At night you won't need sun protection. Just look for a moisturizer that's labeled for acne-prone skin. It will usually say oil-free or non-comedogenic, or it may state that it doesn't clog pores. 

People taking prescription acne treatments need to moisturize their skin even more than they would normally because most treatments dry out the skin. The skin must remain moist for the acne treatment to fully work; a lack of moisture can greatly decrease the effectiveness of the treatment.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How does isotretinoin work to treat acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Oral isotretinoin is a retinoid preparation that decreases the size and secretion of the sebaceo...
What are the benefits of chemical peels for acne?
The choice to have a cosmetic procedure is a personal one. All women are beautiful in their own wa...
How Long Should a Typical Acne Pimple Last?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?