Can any oral contraceptives make my acne worse?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
The only oral contraceptives that can potentially worsen acne are the ones that contain only progestins instead of a combination of progestin and estrogen. Oral contraceptives containing only progestins include levongestrel and medroxyprogesterone. Acne, hirsutism, and hair loss have been associated with certain progestins.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Is the hormone flutamide an effective acne treatment?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Flutamide blocks the androgen receptor and is approved for the treatment of prostate cancer. How...
What's in a noncomedogenic cleanser?
There is a wide variety of noncomedogenic cleansers available on the market. It means that the produ...
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?